Address: 1997 Marco Dr., Camarillo, California 93010
Journalist / Reviewer – PCMag August 2016 – Present
- Review inkjet and laser single-function and all-in-one printers from entry-level family models to multi-thousand-dollar enterprise models with monthly duty cycles of 1,000 to 400,000 pages per month, and beyond.
- Review portable, flatbed and sheet-feed document scanners with duty cycles of 100 scans to 20,000 scans daily.
- Write how-tos on using several facets of computer technology.
- Review photo printers ranging from $100 portable Zink and dye sublimation models to $2,000 professional-grade photography and graphics arts models that deploy 12 or more inks and print on paper as wide as 22 inches.
- Write round-ups of products in various categories, including printers, scanners, labelers, laptops, tablets, and others.
Contributing Editor – Computer Shopper June 2009 – Present
- Reviewer of iOS, Android, and Windows tablets
- Reviewer of Windows, MacOS, and Chrome Book laptops, 2-in-1 convertibles, and hybrids
- Reviewer of Windows, MacOS, and Chrome desktops PCs and all-in-one desktop PCs and iMacs
- Review inkjet and laser single-function and all-in-one printers from entry-level family models to thousand-dollar business models with monthly duty cycles of 1,000 to 150,000 pages per month
Technology Journalist – Digital Trends May 2013 – Present
Technology news and opinion writer covering a wide range computer trends and breakthroughs, such as:
- Write Op-eds and features with titles such as, “Could DNA be the key to passing digital data to future generations?” or “Zuckerberg is spreading the Internet across the globe, but is it only for Facebook’s gain?”
- Write how-tos covering using several facets of computer technology, such as using Windows or Excel.
- Review several peripheral types, such as keyboards, mice, mouse and keyboard combos, speakers, Webcams.
- Review various technology, including solar-powered smartphone chargers, preview versions of Windows 10, Wi-Fi 802.11ax, and Bluetooth Mesh.
Printer & Scanner Expert – LifeWire June 2011 – October 2016
Formally About.com. Over a five-year period, I wrote hundreds of articles and achieved the following:
- Revamped Printer/Scanner section, making it a viable site and increasing traffic about 100 times.
- Covered all things printers and scanners, including:
- Product reviews
- Write how-tos
- Write op-eds and trends
Owner/Operator – WilliamHarrel.com April 1986 – Present
A graphics design and writing firm concentrating on marketing and technical material, such as:
- Write, layout, and produce electronic documents (PDFs), including about 45 Kindle E-readers for clients
- Write, layout, and produce product manuals, electronic (PDFs), Kindle E-readers, and hard copy
- Write, layout, and produce product brochures and flyers, electronic (PDFs), and hard copy
- Write and distribute press releases
- Design and create content for Websites, Web applications, custom designs or WordPress
- Design and maintain WordPress blogs
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google AdWords, AdSense, and Analytics, Bing Ads, MSN, and other search engines
- PowerPoint slide and multimedia presentations
- Fluent in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Muse, and Edge Animate
- Fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Office aps
- Ghost writer: Better Mind and Body Press and Spinecenter of California
- Four Weeks to a Better Back
- 101 Ways to a Better Back
- Martial Arts: A Path to a Better Mind and Body
Articles Published in the Following Publications
- Computer Shopper
- Digital Trends
- LifeWire (formally About.com)
- Publish Magazine
- Windows Magazine
- Compute! Magazine
- Nation’s Business
- Home PC
- Home Office Computing
- Communications Technology Watch
Educator – eClasses.org February 2011 – Present
Wrote, created and instruct hundreds of students in the following online courses:
- Course creator/online instructor of “Introduction to Adobe Edge Animate”
- Course creator/online instructor of “Mobile Web Design”
- Course creator/online instructor of “Introduction to CSS3”
- Course creator/online instructor of “Introduction to HTML5”
- Course creator/online instructor of “Introduction to Adobe Muse”
- Course creator/online instructor of “Introduction to Microsoft Excel”
Educator – Ed2Go January 2009 – September 2016
Wrote, created and instructed hundreds of students in the following online courses:
- Course creator/online instructor of six Flash courses:
- “Introduction to Flash CS4,”
- “Introduction to Flash CS5,”
- “Intermediate Flash CS4,”
- “Intermediate Flash CS5,”
- “Introduction to Flash CS6,”
- “Intermediate Flash CS6.”
Owner/Operator dock.net June 1996 – June 2008
dock.net was a nationwide Internet Service Provider (ISP), offering all levels of Internet service, including dialup, broadband access (DSL, T1s, T3s, Ethernet over Fiber, and Fixed Wireless), Web Hosting, Web applications and Web design, Voice over IP (VoIP or Digital Telephone), and Hosted PBX.
- Grew company from zero customers in June 1996 to over 15,000 Subscribers with annual recurring revenue exceeding four million dollars when company sold in June 2008
- Expanded territory from Los Angeles and Ventura County area to nationwide
- Oversaw all facets of management, including: technology purchases and implementation, hiring, firing and managing employees, marketing, sales, and day-to-day operations. Duties also included acquisition and assimilation of several competitors.
- Deployed line-of-sight wireless Internet service throughout Santa Barbara, Ventura County, Los Angeles, and Orange County, which I then sold to Covad.
- Oversaw the deployment of two good-size datacenters, one on the California coast and one on the North Carolina coast, for servicing several million subscribers.
High School: Buena High School, Ventura, California – Graduated
College: Ventura College, Ventura, California – A.A. in English – 1984
Aftermarket Computer Books
- CorelDRAW 8 Secrets by William Harrel, Winston Steward, IDG Books, 1998
- QuarkXPress 4 in Depth by William Harrel, Elaine Betts, Coriolis Group Books, 1998
- Adobe Acrobat 3 for Dummies by William Harrel, IDG Books, 1998
- CorelDRAW 7 Secrets by William Harrel, Winston Steward, IDG Books, 1997
- Macworld PageMaker 6.5 Bible by William Harrel, IDG Books, 1997
- The Multimedia Authoring Workshop by William D. Harrel, Sybex, Inc., 1996
- Freelance Graphics 96 for Windows 95 for Dummies by William Harrel, Roger Parker, IDG Books, 1996
- MacWorld PageMaker 6 Bible by Craig Danuloff, William Harrel, IDG Books, 1995
- CorelDRAW 5 Revealed by William Harrel, Prima Books, 1995
- Using Photoshop 3, coauthor, Que, 1995
- CorelDRAW 4 Revealed by William Harrel, Prima Books, 1994
- CorelDRAW for Macintosh Revealed, by William Harrel, Prima Books, 1994
- Using the Macintosh, coauthor, Que, 1994
- Using QuarkXPress, Que, coauthor, 1994
- 101 Essential WordPerfect for Windows Tips by William Harrel, Compute Books, 1993
- Illustrated CorelDRAW 3.0, by William Harrel, Wordware, 1993
- Learn Ventura 4.0 in a Day by William Harrel, WordWare Publishing, 1992
- Illustrated PageMaker 4 by William Harrel, Wordware Publishing, 1991
Revised: April 2018