Easy Inner Popups in Flash CS4 & CS5 – Part 1

Learn how to create inner popups using the UILoader component in Flash CS4. (This procedure is nearly identical in CS5.) Load any external SWF as a popup. Create as many popups as you need. Part 1 and Part 2 walk you through the entire process, from configuring the component to creating a close button movie clip, to scripting the popup. Part 1 covers preparing and setting up the UILoader component.

Best Viewed in HD Format.

Learn this and other techniques in William Harrel’s Introduction to Adobe Flash CS4, (and soon to be released Introduction to Adobe Flash CS5) Course at Ed2Go.

Click here to download popups.fla.

William Harrel – williamharrel.com

LinkedInShare

Comments

16 Responses to “Easy Inner Popups in Flash CS4 & CS5 – Part 1”
  1. Glad to be of service

2. Curtis says:

Thanks for the tutorial! It works great! I do have one question:

I want my pop up window to pop up a streaming video. However, when I use the “close button,” the pop up closes, but the streaming video keeps playing (can hear the audio.) Is there code that could be added to the “close button” that would also command the streaming video in the pop up to stop playback?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. Hmmm… I hadn’t really anticipated putting a video in the popup. There probably is code that will stop the video. But I don’t know what it is. I know that

SoundMixer.stopAll();

will stop sounds. Place it directly below the gotoAndPlay() action.

4. Curtis says:

Thanks! That seems to have worked!

5. Glad to hear it.

6. Jeroen says:

Hey,

Nice tut!
    Could you make the files downloadable so I don’t have to type the codes myself?

Thx in advance.

Jeroen

7. Pepijn says:

Exactly what I was looking for.
    But when I click link “Click here to download popups.fla.” , I’m only able to download fc4_Lesson08.zip, fc5_Lesson08.zip and fl5_Lesson09.zip which is flashy websit and quiz.

Do I overlook or is popups.fla not downloadable anymore.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Pepijn

8. Sorry guys. The file is back up.

9. Meer says:

Hi William,

Great tutorial. Thanks for posting.

Question: If I want the pop window to be a link to a webpage like \"FaceBook\" or \"YouTube\" page
    and I want that page to show up on the UI window how can I make it happen.

Currently, I have buttons called FaceBook & YouTube and when I click on those buttons the page opens up replacing the flash page.

Please let me know if this can be done. Thank you.

Meer

10. Hi Meer,

I’m sorry I took so long to answer your question. I’ve been traveling. I’m afraid I don’t completely understand your question. Do you wand the Facebook or YouTube page to be the popup? If you could be a little more clear on what you’re tying to do, I’ll try to help you. I promise not to take as long, this time.

11. Paul says:

This is what i need to solve my problem.

I cannot find the popups.fla file to download though. Is it still available for use?

12. Paul says:

This is what i need on my website.

I cannot seem to find the popups.fla file to download though

13. I’m sorry. Somehow it got taken down. It’s back up there now.

14. Please try again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

15. even.dawn says:

Hi William,
    Would this popup be able to load a html instead of a swf?

16. Not as this swf is setup. An advantage of this method is that the browser can’t block the popup.